In this age of instant gratification, the “see now, buy now” model has been a growing trend among international labels. “People act on impulse, and in the moment of awe of what they see on the runway, they definitely want to own it now,” observes Vivy Yusof, co-founder of FashionValet. Kuala Lumpur Fashion Week Ready To Wear 2017 (KLFW RTW) jumps on the bandwagon by promoting participating designers adopting this new element in their collections at the fifth installment this year.
In conjunction with its half-decade celebration, close to 150 designers from the ASEAN region will be participating in this much anticipated fashion event, showcasing their never-before-seen runway collections to the local and international media, as well as the fashion elite, at Pavilion KL. Adding on to the international appeal, on August 18, a total of 20 finalists from the ASEAN region will also be competing at the Grand Finale of AirAsia Runway Ready Designer Search 2017.
Working closely with Tourism Malaysia and AirAsia, six international guest designers from China, India, Japan, Australia, the Philippines, and South Korea will also be presenting their latest seasonal collections. The presence of international designers aims to spark a creative bilateral dialogue with local creatives to promote a healthy exchange of ideas and international growth in the near future.
What’s Hot This KLFW RTW 2017
1. Anuruk Jaidee, winner of AirAsia Runway Ready Designer Search 2016, debuts his complete 2016 collection.
2. Six young, emerging designers give a contemporary spin to batik in the new Batik Kelantan segment.
3. Which Malaysian designer will present at Amazon Fashion Week Tokyo 2018? That’s for you to find out.
4. To celebrate The Melium Group’s 10th anniversary, founder Dato’ Sri Dr. Farah Khan presents an exclusive collection.
5. Partnering with Isetan Kuala Lumpur, a pop-up store is set up at Suria KLCC to boost the local fashion industry.
6. BOF Enhancement Programme recipient Cassey Gan showcases her latest collection in Kuala Lumpur.
7. The 20th anniversary collection of Eclipse, inspired by Nobuhiro Nakanishi’s ‘Layer Drawings’ series.
8. Bobbi Brown Cosmetics flies in 10 professional make-up artists from around the region.
From August 16 to 20 at Pavilion KL. www.klfashionweek.net