Social media posts by the fashion-obsessed hit an all-time high in September. You can’t scroll through Instagram, Twitter or even Facebook, without being bombarded with countless runway photos, street style moments and #NYFW hashtags. In honour of Fashion Month, and our blessed friends who we drive crazy throughout, a round up of the most common social media habits that all fashion people are guilty of—ourselves included.
1) The blurry runway photos dominating your Instagram feed. Is that ghost-like image Cara Delevingne turning on the catwalk? Nobody really knows except that you were at the show and that’s all that matters, right?
2) Tweeting dramatically about how tiring Fashion Week. In our defense, Fashion Week is exhausting, but this is the front row at Alexander Wang, not the front lines.
3) Mirror outfit pics. It’s not a selfie, it’s a humble brag of your better-than-good outfit today.
4) “Tap for credits!” because it’s professional suicide if you don’t tag all the brands in your photo (Don’t forget the finger pointing emoji).
5) Posting photos of fashion show passes and invites—because were you really invited if you don’t Instagram it?
6) Back-to-back fashion party or show pictures. It’s important to document everything from the chic hors d’oeurves to the A-list celebrity guests.
7) Styling your wardrobe pieces like a magazine layout in the morning. Lay downs typically include leather shorts, a striped Breton top, Chanel bag, sunnies and the boots to be seen in for fall.
8) To that, the aerial photo taken at a chic café. Your coffee, gluten-free muffin and a pair of cat-eye sunglasses were just sitting there perfectly angled like that, I swear!
9) Excessive hashtagging. #NYFW #OOTD #SOTD #Celine #PradaSunnies #MarcJacobs #shoeporn #SaintLaurent #Chanel #IWokeUpLikeThis #chic #celfie #TapforCreds #obsessssssed #canteven #maj #Wang
10) The chic workspace Instagram. Necessary photo elements include: green smoothie, stylish planner, perfectly-written to-do list, flowers and a Starbucks cup. What? Your Instagram may seem all fun and glamorous but you do work hard too—you just do it in style.
11) Post-gym workout pictures. You may have been bingeing on champagne last night, but today you want the world to know you’re already up at SoulCycle—in your chicest sneakers no less.
12) Making transporation look glamorous. Whether it’s the backseat of a cab or a Mercedes—you have to take a picture of your shoes and bag while en route whenever possible.
13) Posting your haute haul spree. Laying out all your new purchases for the world to see—Celine, The Row, Balenciaga…you just dropped $4,000 but you’ll post it like it’s #nobigdeal.
14) Taking selfies with your more-famous BFF’s. This game is about gaining followers, after all.
15) Mastering the blogger pose in every single picture. Legs crossed, chin out and the perfect smize—you’ve got your stance nailed to a tee.
16) Documenting designer gifts. You must Instagram your pressies the second you open them—Dior tissue paper and a hand-written card? I love this job.