Alex Gore Browne
“In between juggling home-schooling lessons and housework, once my children have gone to bed, I use darning as a distraction from everything that’s going on in the outside world. I am a big believer in buying investment pieces and mending them as and when they need to be fixed and darning is such a great technique to lengthen the lifespan of your clothes and most importantly, it’s very therapeutic.
- Start by finding a hole or an area that might need mending
- Weave threads through the hole to draw the hole together [see below with a grey thread]
- I like to use bright decorative threads – so in this case I will be building a colourful loop around the hole
- Build up the colours, wrapping around the grey thread as you go along
- A colourful fix to an otherwise sad knitwear hole!”